Saturday, October 24, 2009

A little clarification.

In my last post, I didn't mean to imply that doomsday scenarios were dumb. They're not dumb; they tap into some very real suspicions and worries people have about the world. Look at all the hype surrounding 2012. Hell, remember Y2K? For some reason, the end of the world is very real fear to people. And when a book or movie or YouTube video incorporates some kind of apocalyse, or threat of an apocalyse, into the fabric of the story, the stakes are instantly raised. The tension and drama dials get turned up. It's not an inherently cheap trick, and it can be done well.

However, I think exploring end of SOMEONE'S world is more powerful. And in this particular case, that's what I wanted to do. I wanted the focus to stay on the characters. I wanted realism. Or as much realism as you can get when one of your characters is an anthropomorphic were-tiger who can see the future.

I am walking a fine line here.

Also, I didn't want to imply that my characters' superpowers were superfluous. One of the driving points of the plot is Marcus's search for the cause of this superpower explosion.

Marcus is the aforementioned were-tiger.

If you find yourself wondering how the fuck that makes sense considering he knows the future, STOP IT.

4 comments:

  1. Shhh don't worry it makes sense. He can see the future... not the past :) I can't wait for this to be in Barnes and Noble. Want to reeeaaaad iiiiit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I can't wait to read it either. Just make sure you buy 10 copies of it whenever it comes out ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna just buy one copy. But I will have you sign it and sell it on ebay.

    And I also want to be your date to the premiere when they make it into a movie, which will be a couple months after publication. That's how they roll nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't buy 10 copies, you can't come to the premiere, let alone be my date.

    ReplyDelete